Located on the Chao Phrayu riverside, Bangkok, the original church was built in 1768 by Portuguese settlers on land donated by King Rama 1. The church was subject to rebuilding and restoration in the late 19thcentury in a neo-gothic style. The result is a striking riverside landmark known to Thais as ‘Kalawar Church’ – a name derived from Calvary where Christ was crucified. The church is noted for its well preserved stained glass mosaic patterns that portray tales from Old and New Testament.